Thursday, April 12, 2007

Studyin' Time w/ Lena's Journalin' Today to Job 37

Has your heart ever pounded in anticipation of hearing anyone’s voice, and when it was truly heard, did glee rise from within?
About 14 years ago, I had a bad automobile accident. My husband was not with me and I was airlifted to our local hospital where I underwent many tests to see what should be addressed in making initial repairs to my body. There were things seen and things unseen. They were looking for the proper order of action. It took some time to get that order and then prepare me for surgery with the Dr. on call for the matter, etc. I went through many types of X-ray machines to make these determinations.
My husband was at work, which was an hour and a half away from the hospital, and after he found out what had happened, he had to drive the distance. Once he arrived, he had to find out where I was, (this is before having cell phones so readily available to everyone). It ended up, I would be in surgery for several hours. Even during pre surgery tests I was very groggy, just wanted to sleep and hope to awaken with all that was happening having been just a dream. I wasn’t crying out for him, or anyone for that matter, but I had not yet subconsciously known he was there. After he arrived he had to wait and I did not initially know he was there. I knew where my kids were, I’d heard the voices of some of our supportive friends, and knew they were staying there with me, but I was waiting to hear his voice. When I came out of surgery and made my way to recovery I was way “out of it”, more than sleepy, hardly conscious, they alerted him to be able to come wait and awaken me and be at my side when I did awaken. I guess he was sitting there for awhile, before I realized it. A friend of ours accompanied him to sit with me. The friends said while they sat waiting, the heartbeat monitor was showing a steady heartbeat, then my husband took a hold of my hand and my heart rate raised, then he spoke and it raised again. I was not responding to his presence or voice verbally, but I was alive and responding to his presence and voice on the inside!
How ready, willing and receptive are you to the voice of God? Do you know He is always speaking?
Many say, I’ve not heard His voice in ages. Why not? This is a question a disciple, a God pursuer, must honestly ask himself. If we are not asking this question and are unwilling to hear the answer, we need an increase of growth in our faith and in our relational walk with our Father and Lord.
I love the books of wisdom that tell us to incline our ears to get understanding.
Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Commit yourself to instruction; attune your ears to hear words of knowledge. As you enter the house of God, keep your ears open and your mouth shut! Don't be a fool who doesn't realize that mindless offerings to God are evil. Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; I will incline mine ear to a parable: Give ear, O my people, to my law: Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, And not to covetousness. Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness With men that work iniquity: And let me not eat of their dainties. So as to incline thine ear unto wisdom, And apply thy heart to understanding; My son, attend to my words; Incline thine ear unto my sayings. My son, attend unto my wisdom; Incline thine ear to my understanding: Incline thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, And apply thy heart unto my knowledge.
It is clear who does or does not do this, and who actually chooses this. We do or do not. Many have had the thinking that God looks around, to see who may be worthy or they have thought that He some how randomly chooses some person to speak with or bless. This is just not so. He chooses all men, but not all men are willing to do or become what it takes to hear His voice, or follow His will, thus we show ourselves friends or just merely acquaintances of God. I choose the inclination of my own ear to what I really want to hear. In Hebrew the word “hear” actually means “Do”. There is not, hearing without corresponding action to follow. One knows they were heard as they see you go do what was spoken.
If one is a student and has to pass a test, they’ll most likely incline their ear, take notes, get the CD, listen, listen, listen again and memorize, etc. Is this how we pursue God and the hearing and understanding of His word? Ya know, there is a test to be given? It is called life! Are we passing? We can do better, ya know.
How mighty and awesome is His power towards you? How important are the works of God to you, do you notice the beauty and wonder and splendor of our God? Or are the problems in life larger to you than God is?
Just look at simple things like rain, can you cause it to fall at your every whim? Can you make a tree grow or flowers appear? These are the small daily reminders and opportunities we have to see who we are in comparison to who He is and then make a choice to stand in awe of Him and serve Him because we do stand amazed of how HUGE He is and how He has chosen us out of the whole universe to love and care for and as we follow after Him!
All of creation except for the freewill beings, automatically obey God’s voice, incline their ears to it. What an honor it is to God that the ones He made, the freewill ones, who do not have to do His will at all, don’t have to be thankful, don’t have to worship or express praise, would choose to anyway!
Jesus was so like that. He did not have to die an excruciating death on the cross, not at all, could have called angels to His own rescue and been excused from the whole deal till another was chosen and answered that redemptive call, but He chose to do what God wanted, because He loved His Father enough to obey Him. WOW!
Why does punishment come? Is it due to God’s love running out for whoever is punished? NO, never, His love is never ending, eternal. It is always grace to show the boundary lines of personal safety, just as an electric fence may shock (punish), but it clearly tells the person where safety lies.
No punishment is too stringent if it brings one to the saving relationship with the Father. Of course there is abuse, etc, but if one learns of His love through suffering, so be it. There is a better way to learn of Him and avoid the suffering brought on by punishment, that is, to simply obey. Obedience leads us to life and more life, disobedient rebellion may lead to punishment, which should lead to repentance, and if not, it could lead to death. There is a death far greater than of the physical sort, that is death after physical passing. This is what punishment is set up by God to steer one far from.
Why do men may a time question, in a contesting manner, the words and ways of the Lord? Do they not know that disrespect and lack of godly understanding would be their enemies? Annihilate the enemies of your soul, be wise, stop contesting God, and begin to be a learner, one who is taught how and where to walk with a wiling heart that knows who they are, the creation; and who He is, the Creator of all things!