Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Matthew 26 Examination Time - Test time, better to study 1st

Scripture selections are taken from the Rock Church Daily Bread Reading schedule for each month. “Lena’s Journalin’” are Lena’s comments on the specific passages from her Daily Journal.

If the e-mail text you receive is encrypted at all, just scroll down to the end of all of the text and click on Lena’s Journalin’ , which will take you directly to the web-page where you will be able to read the text quite clearly in it’s purposed form.

Matthew 26:1-75
The Plot to Kill Jesus
1When Jesus had finished saying these things, he said to his disciples, 2"As you know, the Passover celebration begins in two days, and I, the Son of Man, will be betrayed and crucified."
3At that same time the leading priests and other leaders were meeting at the residence of Caiaphas, the high priest, 4to discuss how to capture Jesus secretly and put him to death. 5"But not during the Passover," they agreed, "or there will be a riot."

Jesus Anointed at Bethany
6Meanwhile, Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon, a man who had leprosy. 7During supper, a woman came in with a beautiful jar F144 of expensive perfume and poured it over his head. 8The disciples were indignant when they saw this. "What a waste of money," they said. 9"She could have sold it for a fortune and given the money to the poor."
10But Jesus replied, "Why berate her for doing such a good thing to me? 11You will always have the poor among you, but I will not be here with you much longer. 12She has poured this perfume on me to prepare my body for burial. 13I assure you, wherever the Good News is preached throughout the world, this woman's deed will be talked about in her memory."
Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus
14Then Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve disciples, went to the leading priests 15and asked, "How much will you pay me to betray Jesus to you?" And they gave him thirty pieces of silver. 16From that time on, Judas began looking for the right time and place to betray Jesus.
The Last Supper
17On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Where do you want us to prepare the Passover supper?"
18"As you go into the city," he told them, "you will see a certain man. Tell him, 'The Teacher says, My time has come, and I will eat the Passover meal with my disciples at your house.'" 19So the disciples did as Jesus told them and prepared the Passover supper there.
20When it was evening, Jesus sat down at the table with the twelve disciples. 21While they were eating, he said, "The truth is, one of you will betray me."
22Greatly distressed, one by one they began to ask him, "I'm not the one, am I, Lord?"
23He replied, "One of you who is eating with me now F145 will betray me. 24For I, the Son of Man, must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago. But how terrible it will be for my betrayer. Far better for him if he had never been born!"
25Judas, the one who would betray him, also asked, "Teacher, I'm not the one, am I?" And Jesus told him, "You have said it yourself."
26As they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread and asked God's blessing on it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "Take it and eat it, for this is my body." 27And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, "Each of you drink from it, 28for this is my blood, which seals the covenant F146 between God and his people. It is poured out to forgive the sins of many. 29Mark my words—I will not drink wine again until the day I drink it new with you in my Father's Kingdom." 30Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives.

Jesus Predicts Peter's Denial
31"Tonight all of you will desert me," Jesus told them. "For the Scriptures say,
'God F147 will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' F148
32But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there."
33Peter declared, "Even if everyone else deserts you, I never will."
34"Peter," Jesus replied, "the truth is, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times."
35"No!" Peter insisted. "Not even if I have to die with you! I will never deny you!" And all the other disciples vowed the same.

Jesus Prays in Gethsemane
36Then Jesus brought them to an olive grove called Gethsemane, and he said, "Sit here while I go on ahead to pray." 37He took Peter and Zebedee's two sons, James and John, and he began to be filled with anguish and deep distress. 38He told them, "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and watch with me."
39He went on a little farther and fell face down on the ground, praying, "My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine." 40Then he returned to the disciples and found them asleep. He said to Peter, "Couldn't you stay awake and watch with me even one hour? 41Keep alert and pray. Otherwise temptation will overpower you. For though the spirit is willing enough, the body is weak!"
42Again he left them and prayed, "My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away until I drink it, your will be done." 43He returned to them again and found them sleeping, for they just couldn't keep their eyes open.
44So he went back to pray a third time, saying the same things again. 45Then he came to the disciples and said, "Still sleeping? Still resting? F149 Look, the time has come. I, the Son of Man, am betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46Up, let's be going. See, my betrayer is here!"

Jesus Is Arrested
47And even as he said this, Judas, one of the twelve disciples, arrived with a mob that was armed with swords and clubs. They had been sent out by the leading priests and other leaders of the people. 48Judas had given them a prearranged signal: "You will know which one to arrest when I go over and give him the kiss of greeting." 49So Judas came straight to Jesus. "Greetings, Teacher!" he exclaimed and gave him the kiss.
50Jesus said, "My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for." Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him. 51One of the men with Jesus pulled out a sword and slashed off an ear of the high priest's servant.
52"Put away your sword," Jesus told him. "Those who use the sword will be killed by the sword. 53Don't you realize that I could ask my Father for thousands F150 of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly? 54But if I did, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that describe what must happen now?"
55Then Jesus said to the crowd, "Am I some dangerous criminal, that you have come armed with swords and clubs to arrest me? Why didn't you arrest me in the Temple? I was there teaching every day. 56But this is all happening to fulfill the words of the prophets as recorded in the Scriptures." At that point, all the disciples deserted him and fled.
Jesus before the Council
57Then the people who had arrested Jesus led him to the home of Caiaphas, the high priest, where the teachers of religious law and other leaders had gathered. 58Meanwhile, Peter was following far behind and eventually came to the courtyard of the high priest's house. He went in, sat with the guards, and waited to see what was going to happen to Jesus.
59Inside, the leading priests and the entire high council F151 were trying to find witnesses who would lie about Jesus, so they could put him to death. 60But even though they found many who agreed to give false witness, there was no testimony they could use. Finally, two men were found 61who declared, "This man said, 'I am able to destroy the Temple of God and rebuild it in three days.'"
62Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, "Well, aren't you going to answer these charges? What do you have to say for yourself?" 63But Jesus remained silent. Then the high priest said to him, "I demand in the name of the living God that you tell us whether you are the Messiah, the Son of God."
64Jesus replied, "Yes, it is as you say. And in the future you will see me, the Son of Man, sitting at God's right hand in the place of power and coming back on the clouds of heaven." F152
65Then the high priest tore his clothing to show his horror, shouting, "Blasphemy! Why do we need other witnesses? You have all heard his blasphemy. 66What is your verdict?" "Guilty!" they shouted. "He must die!"
67Then they spit in Jesus' face and hit him with their fists. And some slapped him, 68saying, "Prophesy to us, you Messiah! Who hit you that time?"
Peter Denies Jesus
69Meanwhile, as Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard, a servant girl came over and said to him, "You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean."
70But Peter denied it in front of everyone. "I don't know what you are talking about," he said.
71Later, out by the gate, another servant girl noticed him and said to those standing around, "This man was with Jesus of Nazareth."
72Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. "I don't even know the man," he said.
73A little later some other bystanders came over to him and said, "You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent."
74Peter said, "I swear by God, I don't know the man." And immediately the rooster crowed. 75Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: "Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times." And he went away, crying bitterly.
FOOTNOTES:F144: Greek an alabaster jar. F145: Or The one who has dipped his hand in the bowl with me. F146: Some manuscripts read the new covenant. F147: Greek I. F148: Zech 13:7. F149: Or Sleep on, take your rest. F150: Greek 12 legions. F151: Greek the Sanhedrin. F152: See Ps 110:1; Dan 7:13.
Copyright Statement: Holy Bible, The New Living Translation

~ Lena’s Journalin’~
We are in a serious time of self-examination, and to do that well we must be honest with ourselves and with God and truly mean it whenever we ask Him to reveal hidden things that could potentially kill off our relationships with Him and with other people. (Thus continually preparing self to fulfill the greatest commandments- Love God, Love People)
If we are willing to examine ourselves, we’ll not have to be exposed to the examination of others or the judgment of God later on. So, lets’ honestly sift through this word today asking ourselves some scrutinizing questions that will greatly help our self examination skills.
Have we ever, or rather currently do we find ourselves making plans and plots against anyone who is becoming a Christian? ( I said becoming, because those who receive Jesus are on a pathway to becoming like Christ). Do we ever secretly wish evil or anything that’d kill of someone else’s faith?
That’s a place to repent of.
Now say we are sitting in church with our brethren. Do we ever look at someone and think I wonder why they are doing that? It is time to check motives. That can be a judgmental Pharisaical spirit. Have we ever thought, why do they spend their money on that when they could buy________?
Who do we think we are, judges who sentence people to wrong living, or maybe we are their god? That’s something to repent of.
What about motives. We see someone worshiping God, crying out, etc. Do we feel we know their heart’s cry? Do we think we can see inside of people? God says the heart is known by God and the man can barely even know his own heart. We can intimately know people in the spirit of Christ by their fruit, but that is for greater fellowship, not for further separation and exclusiveness.
We may need to repent.
Ever vowed a vow to God and did not pay the vow?
Ever been weak, too weak to fulfill what you promised you would when you made the promise? “I’ll love you forever, I’ll be there for you, I’ll serve you, Lord” etc? Yet when you get that call to serve you have excuses. When you have a real chance, through hard times, to keep those vows of covenant you break them instead? Have you ever told a church body you are with them, then you left their fellowship? Or have you never made a commitment to a church body, but you don’t give tithes to God, you won’t become a vital part of the local family of God, because you’d really rather do your own thing? If that’s you, it is so important that you take that before God now and repent, quickly.
What about authority and submission to it? can anyone but you ever point anything out to you and tell you what to do? Ever, without offense rising inside of you? Have you regularly been happy if someone points out something you need to change?
Let me tell you, NO ONE knows when their “end of the world” will be and if you think you know you might be in a wrong position, because only God knows. The time to get right is now, not after you think about it later. The time to commit to God and His house is now, not later on when things get right and you feel like it! Jesus needed support in the garden and He still needs our participation in the work He’s set humans to do in the time period they are alive in. If you’re not doing your part, someone is over burdened for your portion and they are subject to enemies who will try to weaken them in the work. That’s wrong, unfair, non-covenantal. You have brothers in the squeeze of death who need your unselfish prayer power. Do you hear the call to prayer with others, or are your own thoughts and plans more important?
Have you been sleeping spiritually, acting unaware, as if there’s no alarm going off? Man, time to wake up, become alert, believe the prophets and live!
Repent.
(I feel like John the Baptist, and I am speaking to my own soul here too- Man.OUCH)
If we do not stay awake and alert we will be overcome with temptation, that’s what Jesus said. If we’re overcome with temptation we must know we’re asleep and numb. It’s an indicator. It’s not because God does not love us and doesn’t help us. It’s because He told us what to do and we won’t! It’s our own fault, stop blaming God! If we blame God we need to repent of that also.
Ever kissed and left? Ever tried to kill the plan you did not understand and you were so sure it needed to not happen? These are faith-based trust issues, we all deal with. It is seeing into the unseen realm and believing what we don’t see. It begins with listening with the intent that the words heard are true words, not words up for auction. If the disciples believed what He’d said even without full understanding, would they be more able to overcome?
This one sounds preposterous, but it is human nature, to sneak, and self justify. Have you ever, or do you ever plan ways to not do the word and be excused from it? I’ll leave that one to the evaluation of hearts.
Ever plan to expose someone else’s sins, hoping inwardly that they’ll suffer a consequence and pay for what they’ve done?
Ever do warfare in the flesh rather than in the spirit? It usually shows up in the form of arguments, strife and debate. This is manipulation and manipulation is demonic, because it tries to force the will, rather than encourage it. I’m not speaking of withholding truth and saying it’s grace. I’m talking about physical and mental force. Beware, the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds. Our responsibility here is to build people up and tear down spiritual enemies of their souls, not tear people down and ignore their spiritual enemies. Time to take responsibility, especially for households. We are stewards of the GRACE of God.
Do you know betrayal is mere denial? We think it is this unforgivable sin and we’d never do it. have you ever not spoken out for Jesus when you could or knew you should. Then you have also betrayed and denied. Let’s not separate ourselves too far from the sin nature lest we fall into it.
Have you ever trusted yourself more than you trust the very words of God, especially things we know He’s said, but we do not yet understand them , for we don’t see them? This is also a form of denial. We take our own thoughts and words above God’s. Fear is a big culprit of this.
We should repent.
With serving, have we ever been able to be bought? Like I’ll do this for the church or a person in the church, if I get that? Have we ever bought truth and then sold it cheaply? We have, the question is, have we repented of it?
We can start a trek of freedom in Christ by doing what Adam did and say, “Yes Lord, I did do that, I ate of the wrong tree. Please cover me with the partaking of the Body and the Blood of the Lamb. “
Repentance means I see it, I see it is an offense to God and how it separates me from His great love and His intended blessings and I plan to change the behavior, now that I see it. Thank God for showing me.
Repentance is like, I’ve been given certain directions to go to a certain place, as I go I find I’m not quite getting there, I see I’ve taken a wrong turn somewhere, someone even shows me the right way, so I change directions and get back on the right road towards my destination.
Are you the kind of person who obeys God immediately? Like when you hear His words to you personally or to the general congregation you assemble with, do you hear and do the word quickly, or do you wait, chew on it, make an excuse for not doing it yet, and then ponder it awhile before you consider if it applies to you or not? That kind of response is very dangerous to kingdom living. We live and walk by faith and NOT by sight. We walk in the spirit and do not fulfill the lust of the flesh. If we ponder, figure, etc, we are giving way to the flesh to speak to us and reason us out of God’s words.
It is defiantly time to repent and practice doing the word as soon as you hear it. Whatever is Not of faith is sin. Sin needs to be covered. Repentance is the only way to have sin covered.
What about the supernatural? Do we live in His supernatural world? The Bible says covet the gifts of the spirit. Do we seek God and covet the gifts He desires us to have operating in us, to the place of making a heavenly withdrawal? Like can God say, “today I want you to meet so and so here and say this or that to them”, and you are attuned to it??
How often do we prophesy into people’s lives, the words from God and teach them to reach the throne room to get more words for themselves? Are we mere humans having a spiritual experience or are we spirit beings having a human experience?
Maybe we need to repent for being so full of other things we’re not hungry, or we’ve been so preoccupied we’ve not heard the words to follow. The Holy Spirit is a gentleman, He gently offers Himself to us, if we refuse, He doesn’t return to us to ask, if we don’t make it known we really want and need His help.
Are we truly willing to take the cup of his suffering and death and eat the bread of eternal life? That means my life does not belong to me. I’m not my own master or director. Do we go through motions to appear good to men, but God knows if we had to die for Him, we wouldn’t, or if we had to deny our selves to truly live for Him, we would choose self instead? “Not my will but Yours Lord.” Is that a prayer of wish or a reality of the true action being taken in life?
That might be something to repent of.
Have you noticed these things are taking us up into higher levels of mature thinking and mature self-examination. Maybe they are more digging deeply to get every root that is not from God out. There are roots of wrong thinking and wrong teachings that need to be pulled out, that’s repentance. Oh wow look at that root system, it’s trying to choke out this spiritual life plant, better cut it. That’s repentance. Oh wow I thought that was true and now I see I was deceived, thank you Lord, for the truth! That’s repentance.
“Tonight all of you will “desert” Me” The word “desert” means to become agitated at, to be disappointed in, to stumble over, not trust, be offended, see my life as a snare to yours….
Have we ever felt this way about Jesus, His Body (any believer who assembles as Him in the earth), or Christianity and its “requirements”?
You be the judge and governor over your own heart and repent if it at all in any way applies.
Ever scattered? Are you in the center of God’s field, walking and learning of field workers? Are you on the outskirts as separated sheep in danger of being attacked by wolves? Who put you out there?
Repent by coming back into the center, become committed and stay in the center joining in the work of the kingdom reapers.
Ever said one thing and then did another?
You know what to do J
At the point of arguments, do you leave? If you don’t get your own way, what do you do?
Do we believe in the supernatural power of God at all, do we know it is available and do we depend upon it? If we believe it we’ll live like that.
How far behind do we follow Jesus? Time to bridge that gap, narrow the distance.
Do we ever quote our own words as God’s?
Give a false witness? Misrepresenting the spirit of God’s word as law and letter, cutting people up with it is a false witness.
Ever scope out words of prophets and teachers and pastors with intent to try to find something in them and try to accuse them of something wrong? That’s painful to the very heart of God, again, we are to pray. Problems in life are prayer opportunities.
Have you ever demanded of God to show you, so you’ll believe, as if He has to prove something to you?
Ever spit in His face, by not regarding His words enough go forward with them? What about injuring the workers of God’s kingdom? What about deciding what you feel should be done rather than submitting to the order that is set up around you?
Repent, repent, repent, while there is still time.
Ever want someone to die for their sin?
Ever lost sight of the interest of God? That’s actually what denial means. I’m not interested.
Lots to examine, huh?
Be brave, be courageous, there’s provision in the blood of Jesus for all of your (repented of) sins. New life begins with saying, “Yes, Lord, I did eat of the wrong tree!”
Recognition and a willingness to recognize is the first step, believing God’s love enough to say, “Search me Oh God, know My heart and show me my heart, then try me, prove me in my reciprocal love for You.” I love you back enough to repent and seek diligently after life change, newness of life, where I walk away from my sins and follow You, everyday

Daily Thought to Ponder - “Oh Give Thanks to the Lord for He is Good!”