Friday, September 15, 2006

Psalm 70 Our Source and Supply

Scripture selections are taken from the Rock Church Daily Bread Reading schedule for each month. “Lena’s Journalin’” are Lena’s comments on the specific passages from her Daily Journal.

If the e-mail text you receive is encrypted at all, just scroll down to the end of all of the text and click on Lena’s Journalin’ , which will take you directly to the web-page where you will be able to read the text quite clearly in it’s purposed form.


Psalm 70
1 Please, God, rescue me! Come quickly, LORD, and help me.
2 May those who try to destroy me be humiliated and put to shame. May those who take delight in my trouble be turned back in disgrace.
3 Let them be horrified by their shame, for they said, "Aha! We've got him now!"
4 But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, "God is great!"
5 But I am poor and needy; please hurry to my aid, O God. You are my helper and my savior; O LORD, do not delay!

Copyright Statement: Holy Bible, The New Living Translation

~ Lena’s Journalin’~
When we cry out for help, as all of us do, who do we cry to?
Think about it a moment.
There are enemies all about.
Enemies of our peace, of our provision, of our safety, of our health, our relationships, etc.
When we feel the crunch, who do we call upon?
Now you know every good Christian would immediately answer, “God” or “The Lord”, but as we look at our lives, our gut responses and reactions, we can see that we live what and with whom we really trust and rely on.
This Psalm says GOD, Rescue ME! Come quickly and help me!
I was thinking about how many times I try every other remedy to my problem and then when I’m desperate and seem to have no other answers I begin to consider the Lord and His word.
I don’t even think that manner of thinking, is out right defiance when we’ve done that. I think we feel responsible or something, and so we call upon ourselves, upon our own strength and wisdom, which we find runs out fairly quickly.
The scripture is clear on even this, we are not to rely on our own strength or really even give it the time of day.
Do you know what we give the most attention to is quite possibly our “god”, or the one we serve, or who has us as a subject? Or we could say, it has become our object of worship.
Even the 10 commandments are clear on this as being sin. “Thou shalt have No other gods before Me”. Notice it says gods, which is a little “g”, with an “s” on the end. That means we can rely on more than one source for strength, provision, stress relief, etc.
There are so many other helps in life, Dr.’s even prescribe help in the form of over the counter medications and prescription drugs. These help, don’t they, or do they? Then there’s the kind we can get ourselves like, illegal drugs or even perfectly legal substances like alcohol. These help, right, or do they? Then there are smaller addictive behaviors that try to help, like cigarettes, food, sex, etc. These bring help, or do they?
Ever notice we have to go back for more and more and more of these artificial substances and then their help lasts but mere moments? It seems the more you go to them, or the more time or money you spend on them they help less and less. This is because their source is not of anything but a temporary fix.
My help comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth! Maker of me! He knows all I’m made of, all I need. I cry to Him and He rescues me. He’s there for trouble, sorrow, grief, pain, and especially love!
Have you ever noticed what the other helps and substances that try to sustain us have in common?
Money.
Do you know what money represents?
Your life. Money represents your life given over in exchange for something. So if I drink alcohol every night say to ease the pain of sorrow, I’ve worked all day long, I buy what I need, I consume it (as it also tries to consume me) and I “spend” my life this way. I give my life over to its desire for me. Instead of being lifted up and out of my sorrow, I dig or am buried deeper and deeper in my sorrow, I spend more and more time on it, and with it, and am never bettered. This source is not the God who loves me and cares for my soul, its source is the god of this world, who’s blinded me in unbelief of God’s eternal word and is trying to take me out of God’s mighty hands.
It is time to Cry out to THE LORD Today, where your true eternal life source is found.
We can only be found in Him, he is our Main source and supply. He’s THE LOVER of our souls.

Daily Recital Verses -
Psalms 118:24
This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.

Prov 17:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength.