Saturday, September 09, 2006

Psalm 31 Who do we serve?

Scripture selections are taken from the Rock Church Daily Bread Reading schedule for each month. “Lena’s Journalin’” are Lena’s comments on the specific passages from her Daily Journal.

If the e-mail text you receive is encrypted at all, just scroll down to the end of all of the text and click on Lena’s Journalin’ , which will take you directly to the web-page where you will be able to read the text quite clearly in it’s purposed form.


Psalm 31:1-24
For the choir director: A psalm of David.
1 O LORD, I have come to you for protection; don't let me be put to shame. Rescue me, for you always do what is right.
2 Bend down and listen to me; rescue me quickly. Be for me a great rock of safety, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.
3 You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this peril.
4 Pull me from the trap my enemies set for me, for I find protection in you alone.
5 I entrust my spirit into your hand. Rescue me, LORD, for you are a faithful God.
6 I hate those who worship worthless idols. I trust in the LORD.
7 I am overcome with joy because of your unfailing love, for you have seen my troubles, and you care about the anguish of my soul.
8 You have not handed me over to my enemy but have set me in a safe place.
9 Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am in distress. My sight is blurred because of my tears. My body and soul are withering away.
10 I am dying from grief; my years are shortened by sadness. Misery F30 has drained my strength; I am wasting away from within.
11 I am scorned by all my enemies and despised by my neighbors— even my friends are afraid to come near me. When they see me on the street, they turn the other way.
12 I have been ignored as if I were dead, as if I were a broken pot.
13 I have heard the many rumors about me, and I am surrounded by terror. My enemies conspire against me, plotting to take my life.
14 But I am trusting you, O LORD, saying, "You are my God!"
15 My future is in your hands. Rescue me from those who hunt me down relentlessly.
16 Let your favor shine on your servant. In your unfailing love, save me.
17 Don't let me be disgraced, O LORD, for I call out to you for help. Let the wicked be disgraced; let them lie silent in the grave.
18 May their lying lips be silenced— those proud and arrogant lips that accuse the godly.
19 Your goodness is so great! You have stored up great blessings for those who honor you. You have done so much for those who come to you for protection, blessing them before the watching world.
20 You hide them in the shelter of your presence, safe from those who conspire against them. You shelter them in your presence, far from accusing tongues.
21 Praise the LORD, for he has shown me his unfailing love. He kept me safe when my city was under attack.
22 In sudden fear I had cried out, "I have been cut off from the LORD!" But you heard my cry for mercy and answered my call for help.
23 Love the LORD, all you faithful ones! For the LORD protects those who are loyal to him, but he harshly punishes all who are arrogant.
24 So be strong and take courage, all you who put your hope in the LORD!
FOOTNOTES:F30: Or Sin.

Copyright Statement: Holy Bible, The New Living Translation


~ Lena’s Journalin’~
Ya know that way of God’s and our enemy is illusions, perversion and lies?
He wants us to think he is so great, and whenever we complain, murmur, and whine, we actually magnify the state of our life that is seemingly full of problems and in all that complaining our enemy is “glorified”. Let’s go way back to Isa 14 where Lucifer up in heaven, fell down, way down to the earth. He said, “I will ascend, I will be like the most High…”this is his character and he is still trying and vying for this position of self exalted rule today.
Are life’s troubles hard? Yes. But are they too hard for God to solve?
The enemy is very temporary minded, who do you think came up with fast food? - Just kidding!
Anyway, even if we suffered our whole lifetime in some kind of suffering and spent the rest of our eternal days with God our Father, our days of suffering would have been a blink. The enemy wants us to think the here and now is eternal, that it is and means everything. He wants us to think this is it, our end, and in this temporary time he’s busy, busy at work around us trying to take us out of the eternal hand of God, he wants us to turn and curse his enemy, which is God.
The Bible says even in trouble, even in (temporary) suffering - Oh magnify the Lord with me, let us exalt His name together, let our souls (mind, will, emotions) bless the Lord!
Our faith in Christ and God is absolutely a decision we make for the Lord or not. It is not based on current troubles, or sorrow, or even glee, it is a covenant decision and we make. We are either in covenant for life or not. That’s pretty black and white, huh? Think about it.
Who do we serve no matter what? Who do we love no matter what? Who do we magnify no matter what? You gotta serve somebody. There are two choices here. Death or life, blessing or cursing.



Daily Recital Verses -
Psalms 118:24
This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.

Prov 17:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength.