Thursday, July 21, 2005

Today Our Daily Bread Psalms 103

Psalms 103: 1 - 22
1 A psalm of David. Praise the LORD, I tell myself; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. 2 Praise the LORD, I tell myself, and never forget the good things he does for me. 3 He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. 4 He ransoms me from death and surrounds me with love and tender mercies. 5 He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle's!
6 The LORD gives righteousness and justice to all who are treated unfairly. 7 He revealed his character to Moses and his deeds to the people of Israel. 8 The LORD is merciful and gracious; he is slow to get angry and full of unfailing love. 9 He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever. 10 He has not punished us for all our sins, nor does he deal with us as we deserve. 11 For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. 12 He has removed our rebellious acts as far away from us as the east is from the west. 13 The LORD is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. 14 For he understands how weak we are; he knows we are only dust. 15 Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. 16 The wind blows, and we are gone – as though we had never been here. 17 But the love of the LORD remains forever with those who fear him. His salvation extends to the children's children 18 of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments!
19 The LORD has made the heavens his throne; from there he rules over everything. 20 Praise the LORD, you angels of his, you mighty creatures who carry out his plans, listening for each of his commands. 21 Yes, praise the LORD, you armies of angels who serve him and do his will! 22 Praise the LORD, everything he has created, everywhere in his kingdom. As for me – I, too, will praise the LORD.
The New Living Translation
~Lena’s Journalin’~
Why do we tell ourselves? Because every other voice will try to tell us other things that will quench the voice of praise. Exalt itself against the knowledge of God. Doesn’t that "strike a chord" in you? "Exalt itself above"? Sounds like a certain characteristic trait I would like to stay far far away from on purpose! I’ve heard a lot lately about being "fair". I’ve thought a lot lately of how we should be oh so glad things are NOT "fair". If things were so "fair" then I’d have a whole lot of debt to pay and be in a whole lot of trouble. Fairness or the return of equal portions is not the heart of God. I plant one seed and a whole bush of flowers comes forth. Is that "fair"? I sinned, willingly, and Jesus died, is that "fair"? Not at all, but I’m oh so thankful for it. I so wish we’d get our thoughts involved with kingdom rule and not with what is fair. If all were "fair", how would we ever really live? I mean investments wouldn’t even grow, they’d just be returned as equal of what was given over. I’m so thankful that because of the shed blood of God’s Son, my mistakes are not held to me fairly. I love to think of the great exchange. My life for His, my love for His, my name for His, my riches for His, my knowledge for His, etc., etc. What is greater? His love is the greatest of All! When I acknowledge His love as greatest by my obedient, heart after God response I actually cause order to come into place and the creation enters into a place of worship of Him. If I’m "out of line", my disobedience could throw the whole orchestration of worship off, the whole focus off- Wow- No, I desire for all creation to worship Him, so here I am to worship Him, not others, but Him.