Monday, May 23, 2005

Today Our Daily Bread John 14

John 14
Jesus, the Way to the Father

1 "Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. 2 There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know where I am going and how to get there."
5 "No, we don't know, Lord," Thomas said. "We haven't any idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known who I am, then you would have known who my Father is. From now on you know him and have seen him!" 8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and we will be satisfied." 9 Jesus replied, "Philip, don't you even yet know who I am, even after all the time I have been with you? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking to see him? 10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I say are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of what you have seen me do. 12 "The truth is, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, because the work of the Son brings glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask anything in my name, and I will do it!
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
15 "If you love me, obey my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn't looking for him and doesn't recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. 18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans--I will come to you. 19 In just a little while the world will not see me again, but you will. For I will live again, and you will, too. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them."
22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, "Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?"
23 Jesus replied, "All those who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and live with them. 24 Anyone who doesn't love me will not do what I say. And remember, my words are not my own. This message is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative--and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit--he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you.
27 "I am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid. 28 Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really love me, you will be very happy for me, because now I can go to the Father, who is greater than I am. 29 I have told you these things before they happen so that you will believe when they do happen.
30 "I don't have much more time to talk to you, because the prince of this world approaches. He has no power over me, 31 but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let's be going.
New Living Translation (NLT)

~For Olga ~
От Иоанна 14
1 Да не смущается сердце ваше; веруйте в Бога, и в Меня веруйте. 2 В доме Отца Моего обителей много. А если бы не так, Я сказал бы вам: Я иду приготовить место вам. 3 И когда пойду и приготовлю вам место, приду опять и возьму вас к Себе, чтобы и вы были, где Я. 4 А куда Я иду, вы знаете, и путь знаете. 5 Фома сказал Ему: Господи! не знаем, куда идешь; и как можем знать путь? 6 Иисус сказал ему: Я есмь путь и истина и жизнь; никто не приходит к Отцу, как только через Меня.
7 Если бы вы знали Меня, то знали бы и Отца Моего. И отныне знаете Его и видели Его. 8 Филипп сказал Ему: Господи! покажи нам Отца, и довольно для нас.
9 Иисус сказал ему: столько времени Я с вами, и ты не знаешь Меня, Филипп? Видевший Меня видел Отца; как же ты говоришь, покажи нам Отца? 10 Разве ты не веришь, что Я в Отце и Отец во Мне? Слова, которые говорю Я вам, говорю не от Себя; Отец, пребывающий во Мне, Он творит дела. 11 Верьте Мне, что Я в Отце и Отец во Мне; а если не так, то верьте Мне по самым делам. 12 Истинно, истинно говорю вам: верующий в Меня, дела, которые творю Я, и он сотворит, и больше сих сотворит, потому что Я к Отцу Моему иду. 13 И если чего попросите у Отца во имя Мое, то сделаю, да прославится Отец в Сыне. 14 Если чего попросите во имя Мое, Я то сделаю. 15 Если любите Меня, соблюдите Мои заповеди. 16 И Я умолю Отца, и даст вам другого Утешителя, да пребудет с вами вовек, 17 Духа истины, Которого мир не может принять, потому что не видит Его и не знает Его; а вы знаете Его, ибо Он с вами пребывает и в вас будет. 18 Не оставлю вас сиротами; приду к вам.
19 Еще немного, и мир уже не увидит Меня; а вы увидите Меня, ибо Я живу, и вы будете жить. 20 В тот день узнаете вы, что Я в Отце Моем, и вы во Мне, и Я в вас.
21 Кто имеет заповеди Мои и соблюдает их, тот любит Меня; а кто любит Меня, тот возлюблен будет Отцем Моим; и Я возлюблю его и явлюсь ему Сам. 22 Иуда--не Искариот--говорит Ему: Господи! что это, что Ты хочешь явить Себя нам, а не миру? 23 Иисус сказал ему в ответ: кто любит Меня, тот соблюдет слово Мое; и Отец Мой возлюбит его, и Мы придем к нему и обитель у него сотворим.24 Нелюбящий Меня не соблюдает слов Моих; слово же, которое вы слышите, не есть Мое, но пославшего Меня Отца. 25 Сие сказал Я вам, находясь с вами. 26 Утешитель же, Дух Святый, Которого пошлет Отец во имя Мое, научит вас всему и напомнит вам все, что Я говорил вам. 27 Мир оставляю вам, мир Мой даю вам; не так, как мир дает, Я даю вам. Да не смущается сердце ваше и да не устрашается. 28 Вы слышали, что Я сказал вам: иду от вас и приду к вам. Если бы вы любили Меня, то возрадовались бы, что Я сказал: иду к Отцу; ибо Отец Мой более Меня. 29 И вот, Я сказал вам [о том], прежде нежели сбылось, дабы вы поверили, когда сбудется. 30 Уже немного Мне говорить с вами; ибо идет князь мира сего, и во Мне не имеет ничего. 31 Но чтобы мир знал, что Я люблю Отца и, как заповедал Мне Отец, так и творю: встаньте, пойдем отсюда.
Russian Synodal Version (RSV)
Public Domain

~Lena’s Comments~
"There" is wherever God the father and His Son Jesus Christ is at. In that place is where they want us to live also. Wherever they live, they want us to live, wherever they go they want us to go also. I’m not sure if this is a physical place or another dimension. It could very well be a state of being. Kind of like not matter where you travel or if you are at home or work or whatever, you are still you mother’s child. That is a state of being. It cannot be changed by any location at anytime ever. In order to be God’s child we must believe in and accept Jesus as the very action that makes us His child. Just as being born through our natural mother’s wombs made us a physical child with specific natural parents, so does believing in and following Jesus cause us to be spiritually born into God’s family and we are then made God the Father’s child. Jesus’ life on earth was a clear picture of what God the Father is like. If we look at Jesus’ life in the word, we’ll get a very clear idea of how God thinks and acts. We’ll be able to know who God is. Jesus and the father God are One- what one thinks and what one does the other thinks and does. He was/is an exact representation of God, because he is also God, because they are one. Jesus was throwing an idea out there to see if we would get a hold of it to, That idea was that we also as a born again child of God's covenant love, can also be One with God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. He wants us to desire this Oneness and ask for and seek after it. It brings more of God-likeness in the earth. Have you ever heard people say, "Oh look at that child, he is the spittin’ image of his father?" That is what God wants people in the earth to be saying about His children who have been born spiritually and have become His children and who are growing up to be like Him. Jesus begins to taolk about the 3rd person of the Godhead, that os the personality of the complete Oneness of God. This is found in the father, The Son & now Jesus mentions The Holy Spirit. When we are born from our mothers here on earth we come out of the womb and breathe our first breath and we say the child is now alive and living. A living human being. If the child did not take a breath, they would not be alive. When we are born again and become God’s spiritual child we also need to breathe in the breath that gives us spiritual life, just as air gives us natural life. This spiritual breath id The Holy Spirit. Jesus said we’d be able to live our new life in Christ or our new Christian life, where we become more and more like God, if we have this spiritual life in us; if we’re made alive by His Holy Spirit. He says having this life in us is like having a teacher living inside of us and a comforter alive in us. Jesus who was showing us the father God was going to leave earth and go be with the Father God again. When Jesus left we’d be left without that picture of God around us all of the time, but if he left the 3rd part of God here with us we’d be able to learn about the things that God is like through Him. The neat things too is that Jesus could only be one place at a time, but the inspiration of His Holy Spirit could be breathed in anyone who wants to have spiritual life through Christ! Think of it as natural breath. Is that just for one person and no others? Of course not. We can all have it and do get it when we are born, In the same way we all can have the spiritual breath of the Holy Spirit. Isn’t that a wonder, that instead of being only one person in one place, God can actually live in whoever wants to breath of spiritual life?! Jesus also refers to Him as the spirit of peace. Peace is a word that means made complete. It’s like Jesus is saying , this Holy Spirit will make you complete. And will make the picture of the Godhead you need to see become complete. When we have children we are expected to raise them up to be responsible and good people. This training comes through example and teachings, which in order to be carried out the child must receive the training and do it, we call that obedience to the training. God is training us to be as He is and do as He does. The Holy Spirit will teach us His ways and as we do them we are responding to God and His love with obedience. So Jesus says- If you really love me , you’ll obey Me. It’s a natural response in demonstration toHis love.