Sunday, March 27, 2005

Today Our Daily Bread 2 Tim 4

2 Timothy 4: 1 - 22
1 And so I solemnly urge you before God and before Christ Jesus – who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom: 2 Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. 3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear. 4 They will reject the truth and follow strange myths. 5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don't be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at bringing others to Christ. Complete the ministry God has given you. 6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8 And now the prize awaits me – the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.
9 Please come as soon as you can. 10 Demas has deserted me because he loves the things of this life and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus has gone to Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Bring Mark with you when you come, for he will be helpful to me. 12 I sent Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 When you come, be sure to bring the coat I left with Carpus at Troas. Also bring my books, and especially my papers. F5 14 Alexander the coppersmith has done me much harm, but the Lord will judge him for what he has done. 15 Be careful of him, for he fought against everything we said.
16 The first time I was brought before the judge, no one was with me. Everyone had abandoned me. I hope it will not be counted against them. 17 But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength, that I might preach the Good News in all its fullness for all the Gentiles to hear. And he saved me from certain death. F6 18 Yes, and the Lord will deliver me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly Kingdom. To God be the glory forever and ever. Amen. 19 Give my greetings to Priscilla and Aquila and those living at the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus stayed at Corinth, and I left Trophimus sick at Miletus. 21 Hurry so you can get here before winter. Eubulus sends you greetings, and so do Pudens, Linus, Claudia, and all the brothers and sisters. F7 22 May the Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you all.
FOOTNOTES:F5: Greek especially the parchments. F6: Greek from the mouth of a lion. F7: Greek brothers.
The New Living Translation
~ Lena's Comments ~
Contrary to religious cliché’s, our faith is not for keeping to ourselves, nor is it our own personal faith. Our faith was designed to be given to others, to make others hungry for faith, to cause other to be thirsty for faith, to enlighten others who have been in darkness, to heal them if they’ve already lived a life separated from God, others and even themselves. Our faith is alive and was designed by God to be copied and reproduced in others. I really believe a BIG part of the judgements that will be brought up either "for or against" us will have to do with whether we confessed Him before men or not. Whether we made the choice to be witnesses or not (and it is absolutely a choice, a matter of the most resistant ting in our lives – our wills). Why do you think the Psalm says a broken heart and a contrite spirit You have desired? He KNEW and knows our wills and how they fight us and fight the message and fight our pride and fight our purpose and fight God’s will and fight what is right for us in this world! He made us and he knows us WAYYYY better than we do. And even so much further behind this he knows what is at stake! The souls of men and women who so choose. Do not give up on people and bringing the example of faith to them, till they die, This is where the fruits of God’s Spirit is manifest in us and through us. It’s where the message we have both in our words and in our life force is concerned. Have enough LOVE to share your faith, enough JOY to be strong in faith, enough PEACE to be whole and make others whole- dwelling with them long enough and thoroughly enough to reach their hearts, Enough PATIENCE to be the same, every time they gaze upon your life- consistently the same, never giving up your faith for any reason. ENDURING all for the faith of Christ to be evident in others lives also. Enough KINDNESS to make others wonder and inquire about who you are in Christ, Enough GENTLENESS to feed others from what you’ve learned and bring them all the way through to fruition, growing THEM up in faith. Enough GOODNESS to believe God, for He alone is GOOD, enough FAITHFULNESS to defy all you’ve ever known and really commit yourself to God and His people. Enough Self-Control to be the example of Christ in the earth as God has designed you to be. This would be an awesome example of the blamlessness of Christ in us, His Spirit alive in us.