Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Psalm 3 Today's Daily Bread

A psalm of David, regarding the time David fled from his son Absalom.

1 O LORD, I have so many enemies;
so many are against me.

2 So many are saying,
"God will never rescue him!"

Interlude F4

3 But you, O LORD, are a shield around me,
my glory, and the one who lifts my head high.

4 I cried out to the LORD,
and he answered me from his holy mountain.

Interlude

5 I lay down and slept.
I woke up in safety,
for the LORD was watching over me.

6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies
who surround me on every side.

7 Arise, O LORD!
Rescue me, my God!
Slap all my enemies in the face!
Shatter the teeth of the wicked!

8 Victory comes from you, O LORD.
May your blessings rest on your people.

Interlude


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOOTNOTES:
F4: Hebrew Selah. The meaning of this word is uncertain, though it is probably a musical or literary term. It is rendered Interlude throughout the Psalms.